There are many who, once they take out life insurance, do not share this decision with anyone, not even those closest to them or even the beneficiaries of said life insurance. So, it may happen that, in case of death of the insured, no one knows that you have taken out life insurance.
This is especially important, since not so many years ago, after the death of a person, it was a more than usual reality that their Life Insurance went uncollected. However, things have changed and the Registry of Insurance Contracts for death coverage has been created, dependent on the Ministries of Justice, thanks to which the heirs will be able to check if the deceased had taken out life insurance.
Undoubtedly, the world of Insurance is highly complex, so it is recommended that, both when hiring one of them, and when informing ourselves on the subject, we hire the services of true professionals. Although we can contract an insurance directly with an insurer, the best option is to hire an insurance consultancy to guide us in the search for the Life insurance that best suits our needs. Euroteide Seguros is a Insurance consultancy that operates in the southern area of Tenerife and that, with more than 24 years of experience, you will be able to find the insurance that best suits our needs and those of our family.
What is a life insurance certificate
The life insurance certificate is the solution given by the regulations for prevent life insurance from being uncollected after the death of the insured, due to the large number of life insurance policies that remained uncollected. It consists of a official document that certifies the contracts in force to which the deceased is a party as insured, specifying the insurance company with which the insurance policy in question was contracted.
This document can be consulted by the beneficiaries of the Insurance and by the heirs of the insured, so that they can claim their rights before the insurance company.
How to request it step by step
Steps to apply for the Life Insurance certificate
To request the life insurance certificate the following steps must be followed:
- The life insurance certificate can be requested in person, online or by post. In case of choosing the face-to-face form, it will be necessary to fill in form 790 and present it to the Territorial Managements of our Autonomous Community. If we choose the telematic route, it will be necessary to do so through the Electronic Headquarters of the Ministry of Justice. In this case, it will be necessary to have an electronic signature. If you choose to request this certificate by mail, it will be necessary to send the request to the General Registry of Last Will Acts (Ministry of Justice), at Plaza Jacinto Benavente, 3, Madrid (28012).
- It will be necessary to present a document: the literal death certificate issued by the Civil Registry of the town in which the insured died. The literal death certificate must be original or a certified copy of the original. In addition, it must state the identity of the parents of the deceased insured.
- Payment of the feeEither in person at a bank or financial institution, or electronically through electronic banking.
Who can apply for the life insurance certificate?
You can request the certificate of Life insurances any person interested in this information, as long as it presents the documentation required for its issuance. However, this certificate can also be requested through a notary.
Where to apply for the Life Insurance certificate
This certificate must be requested at the Ministry of Justice, since it is on this that the Life Insurance Registry, which constitutes a large database in which the information related to life insurance subscribed in Spain is stored.
How much does it cost to apply for the Life Insurance certificate?
Applying for the Life Insurance certificate is really cheap, since the rate will consist of 3,78 euros that can be paid through the following channels:
- Electronic banking: it is possible to pay the corresponding fee electronically, through the electronic service of any of the banking and financial entities that collaborate with the Tax Agency.
- Bank branch: You can also go in person to a financial or banking entity, to which you must deliver the completed 790 form, after which the fee will be paid. The payment of the fee will be accredited thanks to the signature of the entity.
- Bank branch abroad: You can also request the Life Insurance certificate from abroad. In this case, in order to pay the fee, it will be necessary to fill in form 790 and present it at any bank branch abroad of an entity collaborating with the Tax Agency. The payment will be credited thanks to the signature of the bank or financial entity.
Deadline to request the life insurance certificate
Application cannot be presented until at least 15 days have elapsed after the death of the insured. However, this certificate can be requested within a maximum period of 5 years from the date of death of the insured, since it is during this time that the Life Insurance Registry is obliged to keep the information.
La Issuance of the Life Insurance certificate will take place in 7 business days since its dispatch was requested by post. However, if the interested party has requested the Life Insurance certificate electronically, the expedition will take between 24 and 48 hours.
It is essential to know this procedure thoroughly in order to avoid losing our right to collect the life insurance of a relative who has died. In any case, it is best to hire the services of an Insurance consultancy to guide us through the process, such is the case of Euroteide Seguros, experts in the Insurance sector and who, thanks to their vast and extensive experience in this field, will be able to help us choose the best Insurance, giving us the best information in this regard and the best service when any type of claim to the insurance policy is necessary. Insurance.